Making Democracy Work


Special catagories of voter registration

Voting for disabled and senior citizens, regaining your voting rights following a felony sentence, the inactive voters list, overseas voting

Where to Register to Vote

Go to the Secretary of State's website to find complete information on the procedure for voter registration or to re-register, and for information about absentee voting by mail.


For a registration application, contact:
Orleans Parish Registrar of Voters
City Hall
1300 Perdido Street, #1W23
New Orleans, LA 70112
Phone 504-658-8300 or 504-658-8317
FAX 504-658-8316 or 504-658-8315

How to Report Problems


Call 658-8300, Office of the Orleans Parish Registrar of Voters, if there are problems with your voter registration.


Call 658-9000, Office of the Orleans Parish Clerk of Court to report problems with the election process.

Registration for Disabled and Citizerns Over 65

A simple form can be obtained from the Registrar's office or downloaded from the Secretary of State's website. The application should be sent to the local Registrar's office. An absentee ballot will be sent automatically to each disabled citizen and senior citizen over the age of 65 for each election through this program.

CLICK HERE for more information and to obtain an application.

Physically disabled citizens should send the application to vote absentee to the local Registrar's office, plus at least one of the following proofs of disability.

1. A copy of a current mobility impaired identification card issued by the Office of Motor Vehicles.

2. A copy of current social security disability benefits, veteran's disability benefits, paratransit services, benefits from the Office for Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, or benefits from Louisiana Rehabilitation Services, or

3. A physician's letter certifying that the voter is homebound.

In addition, if you are applying by mail, send a copy of a photo ID, or if no photo ID, submit a letter listing the names and addresses of 2 persons residing in your precinct who can swear an oath that you are physically disabled. An Oath-Disability Program form can be downloaded from the Secretary of State's website or from the Registrar's office.

Residents of nursing or veterans homes can apply by sending a signed letter to the Registrar's office. If the resident is unable to sign, then one witness is needed for their mark. The letter should contain the resident's name, the address of the nursing or veteran's home and a physician's certification. The mailing should also include an application to vote absentee. If the resident is applying by mail to vote absentee then the Oath-Disability Program form must be included.

Employees of the Office of Registrar of Voters will visit each eligible resident of nursing and veterans homes to allow the resident to cast an early ballot for each election.

Military and Overseas Registration and Voting

Military and citizens assigned or living overseas are entitled to vote in all elections conducted in the precinct of their active registration. This includes all Federal, State and Municipal ballots. Overseas military and citizens must apply to the local registrar of voters to receive the comprehensive ballots which will include all local, state and federal elections.

If the citizen or military member is already registered, ballots will automatically be sent to the citizen or member of the military through two general Federal election cycles or two years if a request is sent to the local Registrar of Voters. The request may be made by mail or by fax. The ballots may be sent by mail or by fax.

Because local and state election laws apply, you must be registered to vote at least 30 days prior to the election.

A request for a single ballot may be made as late as the day before the election if it is sent by fax. The ballot must be returned by fax in order to be counted. Any ballots received after the polls have closed locally will not be counted.

If the citizen or military member registers or requests a ballot on-line through the Federal Voting Assistance Site, then a hard copy of the request must be sent to the local registrar of voters. The local registrar of voters must receive a hard copy from the potential voter in order to be eligible to vote in local and state elections. Instructions for accessing the Federal Voting Assistance Site on-line are in the following section.

If any citizen or military member wishes to vote only in the federal elections a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot may be found at the website

Registering and Regaining Voting Rights Post Felony Sentence

Convicted felons who have completed all the terms of their sentence have the right to register to vote.

Obtain documentation of sentence completion in person at the Louisiana Office of Probation and Parole, New Orleans District, 731 St. Charles Ave., 3rd floor, New Orleans, LA 70130.

Take the documentation to the Voter Registrar's Office in City Hall. 1300 Perdido Street, Rm. 1W23

Complete the registration form and receive your voter registration card.

Orleans Parish Inactive Voters List



The Inactive Voters List contains the names of those voters who have not voted in any Orleans Parish election in the past 2 federal election cycles. This list is compiled annually to maintain an accurate list of registered voters. An address confirmation card will be sent to each inactive voter. If there was no response, the name willl appear on the Inactive List.

If a voter has registered to vote in another Louisiana parish or another state, they are no longer eligible to vote in Orleans Parish. If a voter wishes to reinstate their right to vote in Orleans Parish, they must re-register.

Click here to search for your name on the current inactive voter's list